Fire in the Village
June 10, 2019

In the early morning hour of 3:09 am, fire broke out on Central Ave in Cheltenham Village. Calls to 911 were reporting an apartment complex on fire with flames coming from the basement and people reported to be asleep inside. Montgomery County dispatch center immediately dispatched the working fire assignment. Cheltenham police arrived, reported the rear of the building fully involved in fire and immediately notified the residents to evacuate. Chief 4 arrived with a 3 story twin structure converted to apartments and confirmed heavy fire to the rear with possible basement and first floor involvement. Crews were assigned to perform a search of the building, while others quickly established a water supply and got water on the fire. Crews reported that everyone had safely evacuated and there was no fire involvement in the basement. Most of the fire was located in an attached rear shed with fire extending in to the first and second floors and items stored beneath the rear fire escape. Given the time of the fire, the fact that the fire alarm did not activate and there were flammables stored beneath the fie escape, the outcome of this incident was far better than it could have been. Please do not be complacent with fire safety. Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors or your alarm system regularly. Know your evacuation route and be sure to keep it clear and safe. Be safe with candles, extension cords and smoking materials. Be aware and be safe.